Monday, September 19, 2011

Boasting about tomorrow

James 4:13-16 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

On the first night that I arrived at ZMI, we had a welcoming party.  During the opening events, they made a small welcoming video for us that included several testimonies of first impressions of ZMI from former students.  They were quite funny, most I could relate to.  One of the closing statements came from sister Suzette, and in her statement she included the verse James 4:13-16.  It stood out to me because it directly speaks about how we love to make great plans for our future and put all our hope into it, maybe even all our money, time, energy, and resources.  In the end it is up to the Lord to decide what does become of our lives and our plans.  If you were to ask me a year and a half ago what I would be doing at this time this year, ZMI would not have even been in my top 10 list of back up plans.  My answer would have been more along the lines of: "be graduating from the police academy and be working as a police officer in miami-dade or nearby city." It is funny how I am no where near that plan, completely tossed out the window.  I rest though in knowing that this is where God has been directing my heart towards.  Perhaps for me, now, it is hard to see beyond where I am, to see whats on the other side of this hill, but I am sure as I continue to take small steps of obedience, God will reveal larger parts of His masterpiece, and if it is the Lords will, I will do this and do that.

3 comments:

  1. Jon! You're a natural blogger! :)
    I'm so happy and proud of you for these steps in obedience that you are taking. God will honor you... this I know.
    Hugs from the MIA and all its madness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with Caro, blogging suits you well. thank you for keeping us updated and for being an example to us by your obedience and commitment to letting God rule in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so like God. Asking us to put our own plans aside to make way for His, which are far greater. I gotta tell you once more how proud I am of you. I know first-hand how difficult it is to make that sacrifice.

    ReplyDelete